Baby Massage Oil - How To Use, Benefits & Tips
Baby Massage Oil - A Gentle Practice
Massaging babies with baby oil is a soft and delicate ancestral practice which is increasingly practiced by parents to the delight of babies! Many health professionals remind us that massaging your baby helps in developing your relationship and contributes to your baby’s development and growth.
There is no doubt about the benefits of baby massage oil, but what do we know about oils to use for baby massage? Baby oil is essential while massaging your newborns because his/her skin is very delicate. Using baby massage oil will also help your hands to move smoothly and more easily on the baby's skin.
How to use Baby Massage Oil for Moisturizing and Soothing?
Fragile and vulnerable, your baby's skin needs your attention to stay hydrated and protected. For up to 2 years, your child's skin is immature. It has trouble defending itself against environmental aggressions such as cold, wind, sun and dry air. and thus, can be easily irritated.
A new-born can be massed from the first days after birth, from the moment parents feel ready to do so. The first time, the massage lasts only a few minutes, then it lasts longer as the child gets used to it.
Rub the oil between your palm after heating it gently. With large, gentle, circular motions, massage your baby’s tummy, back, and limbs. Your hands must fully wrap your baby’s body. Singing or talking gently to your child while massaging is very beneficial.
When to Use Baby Massage Oil?
It is also essential to take special care and use appropriate baby massage oil. Using baby oils when massaging your baby’s skin will keep it soft, supple and comfortable day after day! In order to be suitable for babies, baby massage oil guaranteed high tolerance and tested under dermatological and paediatric control.
Below are the ideal times to use baby massage oil:
- Choose a time during which your baby is awake and relaxed.
- At night before bedtime
- After bathing: massaging babies after bath allows to extend the effect of relaxation.
During winter: Due to its healthy ingredients, baby massage oil is best used in winter, when the weather is cold and dry. It helps warming your newborn's skin. During summer: Johnson’s baby oil contains coconut oil best for use in hot summers and humid climates. Johnson's baby oil is light in texture, easily absorbed by the skin, and gives a cooling effect. It is suitable for sensitive skin and helps in treating skin problems such as eczema and rashes. Exceptions: Avoid massaging when your baby is sleeping or crying.
Benefits of Baby Massage Oil
- Massaging develop the feel of touch, sensations and a bond of attachment. Indeed, physical contact increases the production of oxytocin, a hormone linked to attachment.
- Massages have a positive effect on an infant’s sleep. Through massages, babies learns to relax, and their sleep gradually becomes longer. Thus, improving your babies sleeping cycle.
- Makes infant feel more relaxed, less stressed.
- Massages help him/her to gain weight and also improve digestion.
- Reduces gas from baby foods.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Development of strong bones, muscular relaxation and improved breathing.
- Taking the time to massage your child with tenderness, makes your child feel comforted and loved.
- Makes your infant be more active and more alert during the day. As a result, and he/she sleeps better at night. This is why using baby massage oil will make your infant cry less and feel less cranky.
Johnson’s Baby Massage Oil: A formula adapted to babies
Johnson’s Baby Oil from Johnson & Johnson is the best baby oil for your baby, dermatologist and allergy-tested. It is an ideal massage oil due to its soft touch, and its nourishing side. It is therefore recommended for your baby’s massage. It also calms the itching and soothes any irritation. It moisturises baby skin and helps protect from dry skin. Johnson’s Baby Oil is great for baby massage and parent-baby bonding and clinically proven as having a soft effect for your baby’s skin care.
Tips for massaging your baby!
Here are some tips that will help your child enjoy every moment of the massage even more.
- If your baby is keeping cold, cover him/her with a soft blanket and take out only the body part you you intend to massage.
- Since your baby is only wearing a diaper during the massage, make sure the room is warm enough. Make sure to have the room quiet with soft lighting.
- Lay your baby on a blanket on the floor or on your bed. If you prefer to stay upright, drop your baby on the changing table instead.
- Use a baby oil that is suitable for your baby’s skin to keep it hydrated and healthy.
- Do not wear jewellery because they could scratch your baby's skin.