Back to Top
How to Enjoy Parenthood
How to enjoy parenthood: Practical tips to combat parental fatigue
Parental fatigue can be a daily struggle for many of us, but it should not diminish the joys of parenthood. While focusing on your bundle of joy, don't forget to take care of yourself.
Here are few strategies to cope effectively with parental fatigue.
- Keep your mind focused on the gains in order to experience the highest levels of happiness that only parenthood can offer. Whenever you feel you are losing your mind due to exhaustion, remind yourself of the most fulfilling moments you had as a parent.
- Take out time for yourself and your spouse. Communicate openly and share your expectations without hesitation. Arrange special nights out, and keep the spirit of togetherness while parenting your baby. Remind your spouse and yourself that you are in it together.
- Get as much rest as you can, and whenever you can. If possible, sleep when your baby sleeps. Parents can divide the sleep shifts as well in order to get more rest.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help from friends and family, and ask for different chores of home and baby care to be done, while you rest. Hire help if you can afford it.
- Take care of yourself. Drink lots of fluids and water, eat a well-balanced diet, supplements and exercise. They can help you heal from physical traumas, and also with your emotional wellbeing. They will also help you maintain your sense of self and your sanity.
- Work out a schedule. Schedules and routines are lifesavers for new parents. Open communication and conveying of your expectations to your spouse is the key to set up a schedule. You can schedule for the mother to take care of the baby during the day, and the father could take over in the afternoon or evening.
- Manage finances really well, as disturbed finances can significantly affect the joy ride of parenthood.
The best advice for new parents is to not do too much. It gets worse when you beat yourself up for perfection. Sticking to basics, and not overdoing it, is the key to a stress-free start to parenthood.
Moms around the world trust JOHNSON’S® to care for their babies
We are committed to working with moms, healthcare experts, and scientists to ensure our products continue achieving the highest standards in safety, quality, and care.